Thursday, September 05, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I've been making my own laundry soap for over a year now. I've changed it up a little from when I first started.. This is actually the first time that I've ever used ZOTE instead of Fels Naptha bar soap. I started using the Purex crystals with the last batch I made.
So, to clarify, this is my third batch of detergent and it's been over a year. :) I use one scoop (the one from the SUN bucket) for each load of laundry. It lasts a long time. I have a family of six and I do a load of laundry just about every day of the week, if not two loads.

The only real "work" you have to do is to grate your bars of ZOTE.
I just layer my ingredients into the container and kind of mix as I go along. I grate the ZOTE directly into the container.

I bought this container at Costco. It's a Buddeez brand and was part of a set.It has a flip top lid.
If you're sensitive to smells you'll probably want to stick with the FELS NAPTHA and leave out the Purex Crystals. If you do use the FELS you'll want three bars, the ZOTE is larger and less expensive.
There you have it. We're good for anther 5-6 months.
PS, my daughter has super sensitive skin and she has no problems with this detergent.

1 comment:

Michele Duffy said...

When I first saw 'Fels Naptha', I thought of this heavy hydrocarbon at refineries which is actually 'Naphtha'. (I'm a chemical engineer, what can I say?) And I was like, how can you make detergent with that?? Whew, I'm glad I just misread it. Thanks for sharing your laundry detergent recipe :)