Thursday, September 22, 2011

Thrifty Thursday REVEAL: Ye Old Stereo Cabinet


It's time...da da da daaaa...da da da daaaa to reveal the TRANSFORMATION of "Ye old Stereo Cabinet". I'm a huge fan of the blog BETTER AFTER. After seeing all of the wonderful transformations taking place over there I was completely inspired to begin my own redo.
If you remember last Thursday in this POST I told you I bought this beautiful girl for $20.00 and it was high time she had a makeover...well, today's the day... she's finally finished.

Unfortunately this is about the best picture I have of it before I started her makeover. I had previously added the paisley fabric because of the unsightly orange speaker covers and left it at that. Don't get me wrong, I love orange but these were ratty and a bit too retro for me. After I refinished the mirror she was looking old and dreary. Solid wood and in awesome condition.
UPDATE: I remembered I had a non digital photo in an old scrapbook and scanned it in...forgive the plaid and the plethora of pictures. I was newly married and my decorating sense had yet to be refined. :)

So here she is all primed and painted with Heirloom White satin finish paint. I let the primer dry for a full week before beginning to roll on the paint. I also needed a small brush to get into the thin molded lines.

The hardware was brass and that just wasn't going to work here so I took these puppies out back, primed them and shined them up with a coat of Satin Nickle Finish

The last part was the hardest...deciding wether to put my paintable wall paper in the speaker panels or this lovely fabric I found at Joann's??!? Such a hard decision, but I like the blue on white and I'm glad I went for little drama :)

All beautified and ready to get handprints and milk splatters all over her. My hubby keeps telling me I'm asking for trouble painting something white with four kiddos in the house. I like to live dangerously like that :)

Mirror and companion stereo cabinet. So happy together.

And since fall is just around the corner I pulled out my lovelies and decorated her up.

Lastly, I added that hoot owl trivet. I spray painted him so I don't think he's useful for hot dishes any more.
Have a great day and I'd love it if you'd share some of your thrifted or upcylced items with me!!
Linking up to Finding Fabulous for less Frugalicious Friday.
http://kammyskorner.blogspot.com/2011/10/trash-to-treasure-tuesday-link-party-1.html

20 comments:

Brenda Smith said...

I LOVE how it turned out! So crisp and clean. You truly have an eye for the potential of outdated furniture.

pescbrico said...

Stunning!! Their is a LOT of work in this!!! Beautiful!

Erica Bass said...

Sooo much work!! It's gorgeous!!

Cristine said...

WOW! Looks like a labor of love! It turned out beautifully!

Melissa D. said...

You are incredible Misty! It is gorgeous and I am just a wee bit jealous as my parents got rid of their stereo several years ago and I'd love to have it now! Beautiful!

Brett said...

Gorgeous!! I love the blue & white also!

Brittany said...

It's gorgeous Misty!
You should check out this blog: http://vintagerevivals.blogspot.com/
It's my next door neighbor's daughter, and she's into taking old inexpensive furniture and fixing it up! I think you'll like it! :)

Amber Sheaves said...

Great job, Misty! I love it. I read that blog too so I'll look for you on it... : )

minousha said...

AMAZING!!! Misty you have such a creative eye!!!! Not only for paper crafts, but everything!!!!

Marcie Ogilvie said...

You AMAZE me!!!!

Lacey said...

I love it, but of course I love everything you do! You are truely amazing!

Gina Lideros said...

love the makeover, the Authentique looks fabulous!

Jill said...

Amazing work my friend! Makes me want to go thrifting!

Linda said...

i can't believe you only paid $20 for the cabinet, it looks stunning now! you definitely should be on one of those hgtv shows!

Nielouphar (Neelu) said...

Vow! That looks absolutely gorgeous :)

Unknown said...

This is so pretty! The details came out after you painted her. All that gorgeousness was hidden in the darkness before.

Kammy's Korner said...

beautimous!!! Found you on my fave blog - BetterAfter!! Would just LOVE for you to share this at the newest linky party Trash To Treasure Tuesdays over on Kammy's Korner where we're all about the before and after! :) Thanks!! http://kammyskorner.blogspot.com/2011/10/trash-to-treasure-tuesday-link-party-1.html

Unknown said...

I love this makeover. I like the stark contrast of the white and blue. It looks so crisp and fresh. Great job. I see these things for sale all the time so maybe I should grab one.

Best Wishes
Cindy
changeofpacecreations.blogspot.com

Wanda said...

The fabric you chose is gorgeous! I love the blue and white print. As i always say...what a difference a little bit of paint makes. You managed to give a dilapidated piece a new life!

ath13 said...

Adore this! I shared a photo and link to this project here on my blog: http://becausehomeshouldbegreat.blogspot.com/2013/10/what-to-buy-on-craigslist-this-week.html

Best,
Anne