Friday, August 22, 2008

Eggplant Parmigiana

So mine doesn't truly look like this, I borrowed the image from Bobby Flay. Smile. I'm just going to go through and tell you where I've changed the recipe around and hopefully you'll get the gist of it.
Olive Oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 med onion
2 16 oz cans of diced tomatoes or fresh if you'd like
1/2 tsp of oregano
1/2 tsp of basil (I used fresh from my garden)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 eggs ( I needed three)
1 lg eggplant ( I used 2 medium) sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 8 oz package of mozarella cheese sliced into 1/4 inch slices (who do they think they're kidding?!?! I used a pound to do my two layers)
CRUSTING for EGGPLANT
1 cup dried bread crumbs (THIS IS NOT ENOUGH BREAD CRUMBS, however, I have always used crushed Ritz or Townhouse crackers, just put them in the blender and whalah! I'd say about two sleeves would cover this much eggplant. I like an even coating)
I also add some Italian seasoning, onion powder, and salt to my crusting mixture.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Dip each slice of eggplant into eggs and then coat with crumbs. Place on olive oiled cookie sheet and bake until golden brown in places on top (make sure it's tender. I like to turn my eggplant slices midway and cook for approx 10-15 minutes total).

Meanwhile, saute onions and garlic in a pan with a little olive oil. When onions are limp, add tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano and basil. Simmer this until eggplant is done roasting.

Layer: Eggplant to cover bottom of 9x13 pan (it's okay to overlap the eggplant), 1/2 tomato mixture, 1/2 parmesan, 1/2 mozarella slices. REPEAT (use up all the rest of your eggplant on this layer then top with every thing else that's left)

Bake in oven at 450 until cheese is golden...about 15-20 minutes

ENJOY! We sure did.

3 comments:

Kim Watson said...

Oh this looks so yummy! We love egg plant too & I haven't tried this recipe yet. TFS! I can't promise it'll look as cook-bookish as your pic from Bobby tho' heehee!

Are you feeling better today?
Hugs!
KJ
XX

Jill said...

Hmmm. Sounds good. I've never actually made this, but now I kind of want to try. Thanks for sharing.

Sankari W. said...

YAY!!! Thanks for posting the recipe! I can't wait to go grocery shopping and give this a whirl - that picture looks so yummy I could eat the screen.... LOL!